Friday, August 1, 2008

Hands on the Wheel

I have been driving in Singapore now for about 7 weeks. The first 5 of which were sporadic due to B and I sharing a car. Now that I have my own - the kids and I have been venturing out quite a bit.

I did not find it hard at all to drive on the "wrong" side of the road. Although, I do get taken aback still when I see a child sitting where you are used to seeing a driver. There are no car seats - babies are carried by adults in the car - just like we all were as children.
I do try to pay attention to what I am doing - never answer the cell phone (hand phone as they call it here) if it rings. I try not to look at what the children are pointing out or peek in the backseat at what they are doing. You never know when I may drift or turn into the wrong lane.
But the ones you really have to watch out for are the locals. Yes, CRAZY is the word for most drivers in Asian countries. Although Singapore is relatively tame, you have to watch everyone else at all times:

Buses - they have designated stops where they pull out of traffic and and onto the side of the road. But they do not give a hoot for who's next to them when they get back on. You'd better pray the timing is right when they start to pull back into traffic.

Work trucks - these mini-trucks are everywhere, carrying workers back and forth to their destinations. At any given time there are 4-5 men sleeping in the back. They cannot keep up with the flow of traffic and slow everyone down.

Taxis - Taxi drivers feel like they own the roads in Singapore - they do not pay attention to those dotted lines that we all try to stay in when we drive. They seem to drift all the time - no matter if you are right next to them. As if to keep their options open as to which lane they want to be in.

Motorcycles - apparently the rule of driving in a straight line does not apply to motorcyclists. They are slower then the flow of traffic - but when you are stopped at a stoplight - they all queue to the front. They ride in between all the cars that have just passed them and go right to the front of the line - only for you to have to pass them all over again until the next traffic light. They weave in and out of cars - you can easily hit one of you are not careful.

Expats - People who drive super nice cars and pay attention to all the rules - where did they come from, the US???

1 comment:

TexasGal said...

Yep! It's definitely an experience driving in Singapore. And the kids in no car seats!!! That is one thing that angered me so much that I actually said something to a few people I saw doing it. If you get caught driving in Singapore using a "hand phone" - 6 mos in jail and/or $1000 fine. I learned that when I got my S'pore drivers license. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Enjoy Singapore.