Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Leaving Houston :-(

The last couple of days have been a blur. The movers came last Thursday and packed and loaded everything - so quickly in fact, that they were done before either one of the kids came home from school. The next few days were spent buying last minute things for our trip or shutting down the house.

We all said our goodbyes - it was hard.

As we were all set to leave on Sunday, B and the boys were getting the car packed up and I took one last look through the house. My chest got heavy and I started to breathe really hard. I didn't want to upset the boys, so I pulled it together and locked up the house. The minute the garage door shut, I started to cry. My head was screaming "TURN AROUND, TURN AROUND!!!" I didn't think it would be that hard.

It was a quiet ride until we hit the airport. Then the comedy began.

Our large bag was WAY overweight - 15 pounds to be exact. In all efforts not to pay TSA to buy a new bag, I pulled my bags over and started shifting weight. After dropping various pieces of lingerie on the floor - I finally got it.
We checked in 6 bags and left in the biggest fit of laughter - I think the weight of the sadness we were feeling finally cracked.


We get to security and B is pulled aside WITHOUT his shoes and belt and bags to be checked. They very sternly take him into a little room to interrogate him and he leaves having made 2 new friends - how he does it, I'll never know. It turns out that the forgot that he had a Leatherman in his old bag that we brought along. Someone in TSA is enjoying it now.

The flight was wonderful - no glitches.


We get to Schipol airport early Monday morning local time. We have so much luggage that we cannot all fit into the rental. S and I take a train and decide to meet up with the other 2 in Den Haag at our rental apartment. We end up being separated for about 4 hours - a lifetime when you are in a new place with no phone to call them by. B and V got lost WITH a GPS - it turns out the street was not on any navigation system.

The long and short of it is, we are settled... Jet lagged, but settled. We have spent yesterday and today getting groceries and toiletries, applying for our residence permit, getting passport pictures taken for various other government applications, and getting to know the lay of the land.

Tomorrow, we get to go the the school for orientation. I am excited for the kids and have very high expectations for the education that are about to receive.

The weather here has been typically Dutch - rainy and about 42 degrees.

We don't have our phone hooked up yet as the apartment does not have one. Once we buy one, we'll let you know. I was more concerned about not having a hairdryer - that was my FIRST purchase!

Love you all - till later...

S

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Great to catch up on the move. ALl th ebets to you guys. Can't believe you were brave enough to go in the train by yourself. You amaze me as always! Luv ya!

K said...

So how heavy is your lingerie?! LOL. I can not believe that I did not get to say goodbye in person.... this is not a good thing. Please know that we will be following you on your newest adventures and looking forward to your visit back home!

Anonymous said...

I love you much and am praying praying for your new adventure. Prayng that the boys will settle into school quickly and make good friends. That you will also settle quickly and make good friends. That the time of transition and the homesickness will be easy and passing. I'm just an email or a phone call away...
Love you! Hugs to those handsome boys...I miss them so!

Shandra said...

I look forward to living vicariously through you in this next adventure by reading your blog. I am sure the boys will settle in quicker than you might expect, they are pros by now. ;) Wishing you an easy transition also- looking forward to following your blog to see and read all about your new home.

adumen said...

Oh my.. I am such a mess right now.. starting crying when I read the part about your last walk thru the house.. and laughing hysterically about your lingerie falling... then.. B making new friends.. got little worried & sad about the train ride.. then all relieved about all you being together.. and now cannot stop laughing again about the hair dryer... (that was the most important thing in my suitcase when I gave birth to the kids)...
Now both M & A are looking at me like I am crazy... One minute I am crying the other I am laughing...

I am happy for you new adventure.. but sad at the same time.. just cannot wait to hear your voice again... wish you all the best ...
Love you and miss you a ton..