Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Being a little overprotective

We have always thought that we would keep V in Tae Kwon Do after we moved. Knowing that martial arts over here is a serious business, we knew also that there may be a few roadblocks that we may have to clear, for example, we had a feeling that V would not be able to start as a second degree here.
We went to try out a class yesterday evening. I won't mention the affiliation, it's not fair to other schools of the same. The class was disorganized, he bashed the affiliation we were previously with and the instructor was VERY full of himself for being a 4th degree.
He was not as kind to V as I had hoped, in fact, he was downright belittling. His accent was heavy and the terminology they use is different than it is in the States. When V did not answer right away because he was trying to process what he was asking, he looked right at him and asked "Are you sure you are a 2nd GUP?"
I know that this was only our first experience, but V is such a creature of habit, it left him a little soured. I do believe that we will find the school that is right for him, but I was sad that as much as this man professed that they are a "family oriented" school - he didn't treat my son that way. I had an overwhelming urge to slap a grown man.
So, to Mr. M - you are missed more than you will ever know. We will be anxiously waiting to come back to our "family oriented" school.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your martial arts family here in the states miss you all too! I hope you find a school there that V enjoys, but I can't wait for the day that he's back and training with me. Best of luck!

Tigpan said...

Mr. M, couldn't you just be a traveling instructor? I find the same issue here in Dallas...and that is not terribly far away...it could be like "distance learning".

V, baby hang in there! Miss W. Loves you much and is so incredibly proud of you...I can't wait to hear of all you accomplish there in Singapore!